Is your company looking for free IT interns?
Andi GrabemeyerProgram Developer and Director/Manager- I create and execute effective human service and employment programs
Need a NO-COST Intern?
Want to get Unemployed Chicagoans Back to Work?
Here’s your chance!
Microtrain, through the Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership, has been awarded an NEG grant to administer a program to help get unemployed Chicagoans back to work. National Emergency Grants (NEGs) temporarily expand the service capacity of Workforce Investment Act Dislocated Worker training and employment programs at the state and local levels by providing funding assistance.
The program combines certification training and a paid internship to assist people who are close to exhausting their UI benefits with obtaining industry relevant IT training, certifications and work experience. The program consists of an 8 week training period, followed by 8 weeks of paid work experience where clients earn a work stipend of $400 per week and work at a direct hire company in an IT Helpdesk type role. Stipends will be paid by the program so it costs you nothing! The 8 week subsidized employment slots will be with companies in the Chicagoland area where they will work in IT helpdesk level 1 and 2 positions. There will be a total of 30 interns available. 10 will be available starting in November, 10 more available 8 weeks later and 10 more 8 weeks later.
WE NEED YOU!
We need your help identifying internship opportunities at your company or at partner companies. We prefer not to have more than 5 interns at any one company and simply ask for periodic feedback on the intern. It costs you $0. You are not required to hire them after the internship period but we hope you will consider them if an appropriate position is available.
Participants are essentially about to, or recently have exhausted their unemployment benefits. They will be from Cook County proper and have a minimum of 1 year IT experience in a support capacity (helpdesk 1, tech support, desktop support…); this isn’t for career changers or advanced IT folks. We are asking for the below skill requirements but we can screen participants for your particular requirements if there are additional necessities for your company.
– Candidates TABE score should be a 12 for both Reading and Math.
– Between 1-3 years of helpdesk or entry level IT support (tech support, desktop support), OR customer support/troubleshooting in a fast paced environment supporting end users using technology (i.e.: cell phones or data products)
– Experience supporting users in a Windows XP/7/8 environment
– Associate’s degree in technology (or related field), OR a combination of previous formal IT training/certifications (can be a little antiquated)
– Must be able to lift 20+lbs frequently, bend, stand and crouch (lifting and hooking up computers)
– Client must be open to working 2nd shifts if necessary
– Break/fix abilities
– Microsoft OS Experience, able to configure desktop and familiar with mal-ware.
– Ghosting (PC Imaging) experience
– Remote Support Tools (SCCM or any other like this)
– Networking Protocols: TCP/IP, DNS (would be nice)
– Mac OS Experience
– Worked within a ticketing system
– Mobile Support (iPhone, android OS)
Contact: Andi Grabemeyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-628-9231
Deadline: Please contact us by October 30, 2013 if you are interested in hosting an intern. We will have 30 total interns available so you may host multiple interns.